Friday, January 20, 2006

Adios, Emmit

I am just going to come right out and say that I've been pulled into the world of 'Project Runway.' I can see how those other reality shows are so successful, with such a straightforward concept and so much drama. Project Runway exceeds all others with the fascinating look into the world of fashion design (a world I've never had a single curious thought about before catching my first episode) along with such a curious combinations of designers. I've now seen four designers cry, only one of them was a female. Project Runway is the ultimate 'couple time' T.V. viewing, with your partner being pleased since it's on Bravo, and the guys only have to wait about forty minutes before half-naked eastern european models are having wardrobe malfunctions left and right.

This week, however, the wheels fell off the bus for me as I watched Emmit, the men's fashionwear designer, get the ax in what was obviously an elimination based more on the show's ratings than on fairness or his designs. In designing a skating outfit for an Olympic skater, the eliminaiton came down to either Emmit or Santigo, the wacky blowhard whose only characteristic that the editors have let onto the Bravo network that I dig being his groovy low voice. Santigo's red feathers project was hideous, now the second or third time he has faced elimination with a design that was shockingly awful. Emmit's black thingee, while I will admit did not seem to leap off the screen with a verve of creativity, still looked like something that a skater might actually wear. He was informed that the bottom area was too short and therefore vulgar, but he replied that his form was shaped differently, that that was not his intention to put the booty on display.

So Emmit made one technical error, while Santigo has overreached and found himself on the cutting block repeatedly in the time I've been consuming this show. Santigo has gotten second chance after second chance to get with the program, while Emmit took the hit on his first mis-step. Santigo has made himself a finalist by his immature antics and tendancy to insult the other designers with ruthless creativity. Emmit was a man's man, who held himself aloof from the bickering, dressed fucking well, and wore a hat with a species of style I can only describe as inspirational.

This sense of personal style makes Sir Emmit's tragic elimination all the more sardonic. As this challenge revolved around figure skating, each designer got dressed up in a costume typical of a figure skater. Emmit was a blob of over-saturated hot pink on our television screens for the entirety of his final episode. At the very least, a man of his stature should have been allowed to leave within the dignity of pin-striped suit.

Sir, in my memory your departure will be with manly grace. A tip of the hat, a casual glance down Heidi Klum's top, and a purposeful stride off to destiny.

Comments:
Sigh... And yet at the same time you mock me for the 1 or 2 reality shows I watch. Survivor is totally better then Project Runway, even if you dont get to see eastern european models naked. The social dynamics in the game really show how bastardish people can really be.

Survivor Feburary 2nd! Whoot!
 
Matt, it's Santino, not Santigo. I saw a rumor online that Emmit did study women's fashion design but went into menswear. I guess he found his niche and it isn't women's clothing. He does have some damn fine clothes of his own though.

Cory, Project Runway RULES! There's no fashion on Surviver. They don't bathe and wear rags. Ewwwwww.
 
I am rather amused to hear that you watch this show... I saw some ads for it and that was enough for me...
"are you a mexican or a mexican't" Great line!!!! Wasn't able to focus on a movie last night, but thanks for the reminder of one of the reasons why I do like that movie so well. Also, thanks for the excess positive karma! So far, it's working!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?