Thursday, January 12, 2006

My letter to Senator Mark Dayton

Honorable Senator,

Please take a hard stand against Mr. Alito's nomination to the Supreme Court and support your fellow democrats to do the same. His trackrecord of supporting corporate interests, granting more powers to the executive, and showing contempt for the honorable body that you serve by lying about his willingness to recuse himself on conflict of interest cases; all these things make him way too wacko to be granted such powers.

Of all the reasons to oppose him, however, my strongest inclination is simply because Mr. Bush appointed him. Since his questionable re-election (and the even more questionable one before that) his standard tactics of croneyism and secrecy have yielded a rediculously long list of failures. Has he ever appointed the right man (or woman) to the job?

Why can this nomination not be stalled while the nation resolves some of the other issues assailing us? With the Abramhoff scandal a fair percentage of those on the right may be removed from office in a another few months, not to mention the surge of democratic seats America is sure to reward your party as it lashes out against the indulgences of the GOP.

In my humble opinion, now is the time to lunge for the throat of the vulnerable neo-cons, not to play patty cake over a nomination that will only weaken the position of the real America over time. Lunge for more investigations, lunge for greater public outrage, and lunge towards impeachment.

I'm certain that from your perspective from within the Senate's hallowed halls, this situation is revealed to be much more complicated and nuanced. Yet, from the outside looking in, all I can say is that I'm bloody ticked off and tired seeing this happen in my beloved country.

Thankyou for your time,
Matthew Wolf

- aside - It's a piece of cake, my fellow bloggers. Writing a letter to your senator is just like firing one off on your blog. Sure it will probably only get read by one of his ignorant minions, fucked in the head from four years of political science, but at least one is doing something. I know a lot of feminists out there are in a depressive fugue-state while this nomination is going on. Write three letters and find out how to get involved in one rally somewhere. That alone is doing something. That's good for America and good for your soul. Give 'em hell!

Comments:
As near as I can tell you have 3 points on why Alito shouldn't be appointed.

1. Supports Corporate Interests.

So what? So he supports well established corporate bodies that will spur economic growth. Just because he supports Corporate interests doesnt mean he wants to squash the little guy. So this one is more a matter of personal interest on your part rather then any specific discountable reason for his nomination to be taken back.

2. Granting more powers to the executive.

A rather vague statement. One could be said that the 51% (or what ever the number was) that voted for Bush were "Granting more powers to the executive". Be more specific, because not all new powers granted to the executive are bad.

3. Lieing about his willingness to recuse himself on conflict of interest cases.

How do you know he is lieing? He might be willing to recuse himself, but not actually do so, and just feel bad about it later. Do the other Justices on the Supreme Court recuse themselves on conflict of interest cases? I doubt it, their job is too important. I would guess they just try and take a "fair and balanced" (to rape a phrase) appoach to the case.

And I suppose I should add in a response to your #4.

4. Bush wants him in.

Hey a broken watch is right at least twice a day, why cant this be Bush's broken watch?

Sending a letter to a Senator is almost pointless. One letter, whether for or against any specific topic, unless folded around 1000 hundred dollar bills, isnt going to get much of a response from a Senator. The only way to get a response from a normal letter, is to send them IN MASS. Thousands and thousands of letters from all sorts of people saying basically the same thing would get attention. They don't say that 1 is the loneliest number for nothing.

Oh, and Babs, since I know you will read this, what makes you assume I am a Republican? You know nothing about me and I have not stated my political views anywhere in any of the posts I have put out there. I just like to make people think, and spur them to revise their statements so that when push comes to shove, you are able to give a good statement that cant be picked appart by a fourth grader.
 
The mysterious Prodito has returned! Cindy told me I had a critical response and it made my day. I got a few minutes.

First, this was a letter written to a Senator, thus I refrained from using the word fuck and didn't feel like I had to convince him of anything. Mr. Dayton probably already knows why I feel Mr. Alito is unworthy. I'd say the meat of my letter, what little there was, lay mostly in the strong encouragement to go after the president and not dicker around with Mr. Alito (if possible)

I'll skip the first two points you've enumerated, cuz they don't interest me much, but a bit of ignorance is exposed on trey. Alito stood before the Senate a number of years ago when he was confirmed for the Federal District Court. At the time he was asked about a number of cases that were slated to arise which regarded some corporated entities that he had relationships with (I can't think of the exact names/nature of top o head.) Mr. Alito stated at that time that he would recuse himself, an action he later failed to do - and then ruled in favor of said personal interest. That is kinda shitty.

As for the dumb luck of Mr. Bush, I ain't willing to gamble on 1:720 odds.

I totally dig the Christmas card Idea. I'll send my two senators 'Have a groovy Holi-daze' cards next year for sure.

I refuse to just give up and accept defeat. So my letter might not get anywhere of influence anybody. At least I did something this morning. I blog as a spiritual act, and I've converted at least a few in my anti-ministry. Even you, Perditio, have not completely given up, or you wouldn't bother to comment on my site at all. Don't let them convince you that your impotent. We are the People, they are the parasite that feeds off of us.
 
Tell your wife thanks for the comment! My cats would love one of those water dishes. Think I may go back to letting the faucet in the bathtub drip. They liked it when we actually had a few days of being in 19 degree temps and I had let the faucets drip. Fresh water anytime they wanted.

LOL- you had a critical response and it made your day!!! Love that!! Often think about changing the link on my blog for yours to republicans click here...
 
That's a great story. Waiting for more. » » »
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?