Friday, February 10, 2006

Internet and the First Amendment

A while back some cranky, old, fat patriot said something like, "freedom of the press is only insured for those who own a printing press."

How true that.

Lately I've been waxing on about how the internet is out last, best hope to save civilization from the python clutches of mass media and massive stupidity. It still is, but one has to be very quick and effective in determining which forums and other places in our virtual communities are worth a fuck in terms of their respect for freedom of speech. None of us have unlimited time or creative energies, and nothing is more wasteful than to have devoted a few months, hours, or even a good train of thought on a website where the wisdom you've bestowed gets quickly deleted.

I've got two main beefs here. The first is with fucking Blogster dot fucking com. I left that site a few months ago after they changed their format and started to suck on a major level. Honestly, once someone gets the hang of this blogger format - with way more functionality and customization - they are never going to go back to that dumpy place. Plus, at blogster, while I did get a lot of comments from folks who disagreed with me (I dig confrontation) it did not require an investigative journalist to realize that some of those whistle dicks were running three, four, even five blogs, and were doing some sort of circle jerk with themselves where they would comment on their own blogs about how smart and how right they were. So I thought I'd try moving out into the real world.

Blogster under this new management sucks. I assumed since my last few postings detailed how much blogster sucks, and contained links to the new Aurelius, that I'd get deleted from over there in no time. Instead, blogster has decided to edit out all my hyperlinks to here and then invalidated my login. I've emailed them like two or three times requesting that they just delete the damn thing - whatever.

This whole problemo might just be due to the fact that the new folks at blogster bit off more than they can chew and my few emails have not gotten through their tidal wave of complaints they must be dealing with over there at fucking blogster. Even my accusation of deleting my hyperlinks might just be that their code was all fucked up, it did not have to be a malicious act.

Yet yesterday when doing a search on Evangelicalism Sucks, I was surprised to see my old blogster site come up within the deeper pages of google. There was my work, loaded up with fucking adverts, and I couldn't even access it. I'm also pissed cuz there are still a few folks over a blogster that I'd like to comment on, but I can't and they must think I'm just blowing them off since my site is still up over there.

Blogster sucks.

Next, I've started joining some christian forum sites in an effort to save more souls from the sorry endless loop of fundementalistic christianity. This one had all these rules about keeping each thread on topic, and being respectful to everyone's belief's (even atheists), refraining from vulgarity and personal attacks. I'm willing to do all those things, since I'm a nice fucking guy, but their rule #11 was a bit too much. Rule 11 - this is a site devoted to the belief that the bible is the inerring truth and any liberal theory ( the misguided schtick of the last two hundred years that has lead to gay unions, child abuse, celebration of divorce, and gay bishops ) will stand the risk of being immediately deleted. {my paraphrase, but pretty accurate}

They weren't kidding either. I left one comment on their new user forum asking how the rule regarding the respect for the beliefs of atheists can be reconciled with rule 11's determination to delete anyone who points out any of the hundreds of contradictions in the bible. Blam, deleted in less than two hours.

So neither of these sites makes my short list of quality internet. One must struggle to uphold the Ideals of theFirst Amendment whenever they find themselves in control of a 'printing press.' Sure we have to have limits - I'll delete anybody who leaves comments that make personal attacks on my sideburns - but for the most part we need to grow a bit of a thicker skin to be good internet citizens; sites where certain views are selectivly edited out cannot stand as a part of the 'making the world a better place' equation.

Peace, out.

Comments:
And I've got too much class to giggle at the jibe.
 
They have done that to several people at Blogster. Many have requested their blogs to be deleted and they won't do it. But they will lock you out of your blog in a heartbeat. Believe me, I tried the nice way to get a blog deleted and they did nothing.
I then opened another blog and left comments on both owner's sites and the editor in not so nice words to delete the old blog. They know I wanted that old blog deleted. They deleted the new blog and my comments and left the old blog. It still remains.
I think they are doing it to falsify their subsciber numbers.
 
I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » »
 
Sexcam Amateur Fotzen

Sex zum Festpreis

Telefonsex Chat
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?