Thursday, March 23, 2006

Aurelius Joins the Tom Cruise Boycott!

My Brothers and Sisters, I am here to tell you that I - just now! - have just learned about the courageous acts of our brethern in revolution, our brethren over at Comedy Central and South Park. It seems that some over at Comedy Central have bowed to the pressure of wacko scientologists and have pulled their show lampooning Tom Cruise and scientology. It seems that Mr. Cruise himself has decided to threaten the Viacom corportation with a less than enthusiastic endorsement of 'Mission Impossible III: the return of dumbshit' if they repeated said South Park episode. It seems Isaac Hayes, himself a scientologist (are they everywhere?!?) quite the show after like five years cuz ripping on 'someone's religious views just ain't O.K.'

Have you seen the catholic bashing South Park episode? That one has a statue of the Virgin Mary shooting blood out of her asshole and various catholic clergy declaring it a miracle. That apparently didn't bother Mr. Hayes any, but when the criticism's pointed another direction. . .

I say, we should all join in this boycott of Tom Cruise's movies and not just until one corporation decides to rule in favor of one interest group over another. We should join in this boycott because Tom Cruise is a fucking idiot and the taboo against criticising someone's religion needs to be challenged. I've now read at least a dozen article regarding Scientology as well as had a few up close and personal experiences with the group after inviting one of their missionaries into my apartment and buying (and reading) Dyanetics. It's all shit. The basis of the world-view is stupid, trite science fiction, and the group behaves in a manner that satisfies every definition of cult. I know cults are hard for the individual to escape from, but for the outside observer their pretty easy to I.D.

Scientologists make true every right-wing rant about Hollywood types who are full of themselves and dangerously delusional.

I'm tired of wackos, and pedophiles, and my class enemies hiding behind religion. Fuck that. There are plenty of religious folks out there giving their ever-fucking lives to the movement, trying to make the world a better place. They don't deserve to be dragged down into the same vile shit that these types dwell in.

The taboo against mocking someone's religion needs to end! I know, it ain't nice to be on the receiving end, but this country IS a democracy and dammit we need to be able to discuss the issues of the day so we can elect leaders who might do something other than line the pockets of their friends with taxpayer largess. We can't prepare for the challenges of tommorow when forty percent of our population is raising their children to doubt the scientific method.

I hate to be the one to make the rules for my society, but I think we can all agree that when we are debating politics, the ravings of some cultist about the end of the world as only he understands it does not contribute to the cause. Since regulating religions would be far too obtrusive for my liberal tastes (and feed into their whole 'persecution' complex) we just need to have some agreed upon facts that we can use to divide the dangerous radicals from the productivly religious.

I want to stress my respect for the legitimate religons and their followers. The areas of morality, philosophy, social justice, and so many others would not be what they are today if not for the considerable contributions of those whom I would disagree with regarding theism. From Mother Theresa to those four members of the CPT captured in Iraq - I may not understand their motivations but I respect their actions. Folks like that deserve, and have, my respect.

I know that it is a hard thing to have to be the judge of. Who am I, who are we to decide whose beliefs are valid and who needs to be forcibly restrained and deprogrammed? Yet what I hesistate to do on an interpersonal level must be done at the society based level.

What should some of these guides be? I'd love some input here. What 'facts' are we to embrace as a nation and insist are inculcated into all of the members of our society. I'd say that an understanding of science, thus an appreciation for how it has been set up to minimize the chances for distorted statements about reality (nobody claims science is 100% all the time, but it is a open system where Ideas need to be supported with reproducible facts, and those who do scam the system pay a price.)

Another guideline I'd suggest would regard the belief that the bible is 'perfect' or 'inerrant word of God.' This may seem subtle, but I've found it is a sustained notion behind almost all of the radical christians I've encountered. It is completely baseless notion. When interacting with someone who posits this position one can quickly assume that he or she has had a great majority of their world view supplied by individuals who knowingly and purposefully lied to them. I'm sure there are plenty of lesser evags who spread this myth with the smooth confidence of someone who has had thier critical thinking skills dulled down to butter knife sharpness, but any educated student of the bible knows this view is totally rediculous.

This view must be challenge, we have the same obligation to do so that binds us to inform the spasming, babbling 'born-again' in the throes of 'the holy ghost' that what he is actually doing is indulging in mass hysteria.

As Voltaire said: 'Those who get us to believe absurdities can get us to perform atrocities.'

Word. May we let Mr. Cruise be the first of many wackos we simply turn our backs on; as we look towards a better future for us all.

Comments:
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I just watched Chef's death scene at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBfQKPAXCwo&search=South%20Park%20Chef

Matt and Trey must be REALLY pissed off at Hayes.
 
every time i see one of those scientology wacko's i remember l. ron hubbard saying...(after several failed money making ventures)...if you really want to make a lot of money...start a new religion...no shit sherlock...
those people scare me more than christians, muslims and church of latter day saints together..
 
There is a blog on Blog Mad that has the Tom Cruise episode on it. When I run across it again, I give you the link. It is pretty damn funny. Of couse, because it's South Park.
And South Park makes fun of everyone equally. That's the whole point of the show. Tom Cruise is a wuss and I'm disappointed in the guy that did the voice of chef. Look at all the things Chef has said on that show over the years and now he is offended??
 
Found it... let's see if I can link this right...
view SouthPark Tom Cruise episode here
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?