Friday, May 26, 2006

Love Her or Leave Her: A Fable






With wise skull shining in the mind-day sun, a wandering mystic traveled along the dusty footpaths of life. One day, he encountered a young man standing at the crossroads, loudly proclaiming to the sun and the sky his love for a beautiful woman. Such emotional proclamations of true love are rare, even in the fabulous land of wandering bald mystics; he decided to stop and query the young gentleman.

"Young man, young man, who is this woman who you are so enraptured by?"

"Oh, how I love her," he responded, "I love her so much that I'd kill for her. If she told me to, I'd break your neck right here without a second's hesitation. That's how much I love her! I love this woman!"

Perhaps our wiseman stole a glace at the sturdy shoulders and callous hands of the strangly threatening young man. Perhaps he quickly noted his legs open stance, deciding upon the reliable 'kick 'em in the groin, poke em in the eye with the staff' maneuver should he get out of hand. Yet, such passion was still rare, so he pressed forward with their dialog.

"Young man, young man, I'm impressed with the intensity of thy inner invokations. But, please tell me who is the woman that can inspire such . . ."

"Oh, I love her," the young man interupted, "don't you try to say that I don't! I'll lay the beat down on anybody - even you old man - who tries to say that I don't love her!"

"I understand, I understand," our gentle philosopher continued, "I understand that you love her. I certainly am not trying to discount thy love."

"Damn right. I love her so much I'd do anything for her."

"And this wonderous woman, what is her name?"

"Amerilla!" The young lover proclaimed loudly, "my beloved's name is Amerilla!"

"What a beautiful name, what a beautiful name. I has such a ring to it. I feel like I have heard it before. Why is she so wonderful? What makes her so great?"

"Oh she just is. She is better than every other woman in the world. Amerilla is the greatest! I love her!"

The mystics forehead contorted with wrinkles as he concentrated on his investigation. "Such a wonderful woman must have had exceptional parents. Does she come from around here?"

"Maybe, I don't know."

"Well, how about her recent history? What does she like to do? Does she enjoy culture and art? Does she like to drink wine? Has she traveled the world? Does she worship the gods? Does she believe in justice, or in empathy?"

"Maybe, I don't know. Who cares?"

"Young man, young man. Please help me to understand. I would think that if you truly loved this woman you would want to know everything about her. The shape of her neck, the names of her cats, her favorite book, her thoughts on the meaning of life, what makes her laugh; if you truly love someone you want to know all about them. How do you know that you truly love her if you don't know anything about her? She could have a red 'A' tatooed on her breast, she could have spent the last five years in prison - you don't know anything about this girl, do you?"

"I. . . I. . .," the young man stammered, "I know that she's the greatest. . . and I know that I love her."

"Oh pshaw!," the old man scolded, "You don't know what love is. You are not in love with a woman, you are in love with ignorance. You disrespect the object of your affections with such a juvenille emotion. You disrespect the notion of love with such a misshapen take upon it. I thought I had came across a man of passion and love. Instead, it seems I have come across a fool. If Amerilla were here, she'd tell it to your face, man you're some kinda sinner."

So the situation called for that quick foot to the groin, and perhaps the old man's walking stick busted a nose when aiming for the eye poke. Same end result. The old mystic shook his head and continued on his journey. As his carefully shaved head eclipsed the setting sun, he was heard to mutter into the vaporless wind.

"Is there no hope for love? Is there no hope for Amerilla. . "



Comments:
Ahhh... blind love... such a tragedy.
 
Hey- you were blog of the day on Blog Mad!!! Congrats!
 
huh?
 
You had it yesterday JS...
 
Oh eeek!! Back to catholic school days!!!
Hey, you're on top on Blog Mad again tonight, JS is 2nd.
 
We tend to fall in love with a concept of love.
 
Nice fable. There are many who speak highly of this country without knowing why it is deserving of praise... and, in fact, if they knew the truth, many of the loud proclaimers of patriotism might not be so quick to praise it.

Especially with that "liberty and justice for all" bit.
 
Enjoyed a lot! Hib surveillance Delphi automotive leadership team chart Compare cheap travel insurance Zyban medicament neurontin withdrawal
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?