Thursday, June 08, 2006

Al Franken at the State Theatre







Tonight Cindy and I traveled over the river to the historic State Theatre in Minneapolis to join Al Franken at his fundraiser for his new Midwest Values PAC. The show included a reunion of the Al Franken and Tom Davis comedy team, as well as some of the best damn guitar playing I've ever witnessed thanks to Leo Kottke. It was really something.

The second half of the show featured a speech by Mr. Franken after a rather lenghty - actually cut short - introduction by a family friend. I was fascinated to learn that his childhood was not the alcoholic tragedy we had to suffer through in 'Stewart Saves His Family' (definately, one of the worst movies ever made.) I was in the audience when he announced for the first time that 'he may well run for the Senate in 2008.' Hey, that's more than he said in his interview in the February Playboy.

He said some strong things. I'm still a registered green, but I could support a platform for democrats that Mr. Franken outlined tonight. I'm fine with having made a financial contribution to his Midwest Values Pac. He obviously cares about America, he's got some good points to make, and he's damn funny. I'm sure nobody at a $1000.00 a plate Bush fundraiser has a good of a time as we all did tonight.

I'd like to blog more, but I TiVo'd UFC reality, and I gots to go watch somebody get their ass kicked. I'm also dying to know if Matt's o.k. after his last fight.



Comments:
im crazy about al franken...he is smart, funny and hates bush..what more could you ask for..i have read all his books and would vote for him in a new york city second if he would run for any office in texas....i love to see him when he is on letterman..makes my day....i am green with envy cause you got to see him in person..maybe i should move there....ha
 
what things was he saying that were so fabulous?

i think he's a pretty fabulous candidate to bring together the left left and the somewhat left and the centrists and the people who appreciate him as a person (and there's certainly a lot to appreciate).

if he runs i'll be all over him.

the question is - who else is running, and do we like them?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?