Monday, November 06, 2006

Self Actualization Not

This afternoon I was trying to do some writing and things were going alright, you know, alright where your thoughts start feeling pleasurable and you get pretty sure that these thoughts are good thoughts, thoughts that literature exists to enshrine. Anyways, I got to thinking about how I got to be the way I am. Perhaps I'm not everyman, Mr. Joe Sixpack, the flat part of the bell curve. What if the processes that I followed in the infantile dream of becoming a writer were, quite seperate from the goals of moving forward culture; simply a rudimentary step in the development of self-awareness. Maybe people who keep a diary for ten years just happen to generate a greater level of familiarity with their own personality than those folks who don't. Maybe there arn't that many proven pathways to greater levels of consciousness - I suppose it makes evoluntionary sense that there would not be.

Could that be valid? Could it be true that mass media has no need for adults so their product is purposefully aimed at children so that the masses will aspire to that level of interaction. I'm not that much of a snob, but I can't watch five fucking minutes of broadcast television without wanting to vomit - it's all crap! 24, CSI it's all schlock! Engage the literature that was revered for centuries and that shit won't do nothing but hurt your soul. Could so many souls be hurt'n?

I just wanna believe that I'm just average 'for a country boy.' I gotta say, however, that the boogyman makes some damn fine points. Maybe when the world was village size and the church ruled out ninty-nine percent of possible innovation, maybe then a man could know his place by twenty. When the world be internet sized, and no rational man is going to let some dumbass clinging to a robe tell him how to live his life, maybe one needs to devote a fair portion of one's twenties to experimentation and growth.

I'm 31 and have spend a fair portion of time devoted to modern American history - I'm still ignorant - 300 million people; power = complexity.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?